Home
Office
Business

Tourism

The Town
Fire Department
Fitness Centre
Recreation
Gallery
Contact
 
 
 

Humber Arm South consists of four communities, which include Halfway Point, Benoit's Cove , John's Beach and Frenchman's Cove.  These communities are about a 20 minute drive to Corner Brook, which is the second largest city in Newfoundland.  Given the proximity to Corner Brook, many residents of Humber Arm South access many services in the city.  The four communities that make up Humber Arm South stretch out over 18 kilometres. 

The communities that make make up the Town of Humber Arm South were first settled in the late 1800's.  From the early to mid 1800's up until 1960, Woods Island was a thriving settlement.  In 1960, Woods Island was resettled as part of a mass resettlement program launched by the provincial government.  many of the Woods Islanders came to settle in the communities along the South Shore.  In 1972, the Town of Humber Arm South was incorporated.

When driving from Corner Brook, Halfway Point is the first community you enter in the Town of Humber Arm South.  Halfway Point received it's name because it is located halfway between the resettled community of Woods Island and Corner Brook.

The next community is Benoit's cove which was named after the area's first family of French settlers - the Benoit's.  Benoit's Cove is the largest residential neighbourhood in the town and is home to many businesses, facilities and services.  It has a Community Centre, Fire Hall, Fitness Centre, Walking Trails, Western Health, Family Resource Centre, playground and Skateboard Park.  Also located in Benoit's Cove is the Woods Island Resettlement House and Historic Centre, which is one of our most popular tourist attractions.

The third community is John's Beach which was named after the John family, the area's first settlers.  There is a fantastic view of the Bay of Islands from the beach and also a picnic and play area which leads to a walking trail and waterfall.

At the foothills of the Blow-Me-Down Mountains is Frenchman's Cove, the fourth community in the town.  Frenchman's Cove received it's name because the first settlers were of French origin.  There is a beach, a lighthouse, playground and a beautiful day park.